Tuesday 31 May 2011

Revision Music

I think I have to begin by pointing out that different people like different music, and that's fine. Also, that what works well for one person, won't for another - it's all part of life's cosmic kick-to-the-pants...
But I figured it might be useful to someone out there if I compiled a list of music that was really good for revision, based on my efforts with Foobar and trying to cram all of Roman history into my head at once...

The good:
Ozric Tentacles - Erpland
Ozrics make excellent revision music! It's interesting enough to keep your brain ticking over, but doesn't get too distracting. Nicely relaxing too! I tend to prefer music without vocals (usually) for revision, but find a lot of music without vocals seems to be missing something - this isn't. This is just right!


Eat Static - Prana
More tunes that go "bleep!" a bit... Quite new to Eat Static, saw them (him?) at a gig a few months ago (I went for Here & Now and stayed for Eat Static). Some of their stuff is a bit speedier than Ozrics, so better for all-nighters when caffiene alone isn't doing the trick! Tends to make me work faster too, I've found! 

 Hawkwind - Alien (I am)
Most Hawkwind goes on the "not great for revision" list, for reasons I'll go into later... But 90's Hawkwind seems to work for some reason. There's probably some impressive scientific reason why work becomes easier when accompanied by the sound of Ron Tree pretending to be an alien.


Tim Blake - Lighthouse
Not too far away from Hawkwind (what with him being in the band and everything...) Tim Blake does nice, spacey tunes that seem to help with the whole sitting down and actually doing some damn work thing. Some of them are a bit on the odd side, but this one is nice!
Soft Machine - Hope For Happiness
When it's all getting a bit too much, a bit of Soft Machine can work wonders!


The not-so good:
IQ - Human Nature
Don't get me wrong, I love IQ. Often in a way that's not quite healthy. But I can't revise to them. Their lyrics are too engaging. I blame most of this on the fact they have the most charismatic singer in the whole world - he DEMANDS your full attention at all times, which is brilliant for gigs - useless for revision!


Hawkwind - Urban Guerilla
Again, Hawkwind are a band I love to bits, but for revision, they're useless. Especially anything with Robert Calvert singing on it - same problem as IQ really, he commands so much attention, it doesn't leave much left over to focus on the work that needs to be done...

Genesis - I know what I like (in your wardrobe)

Great song, but useless for revision. I know if this is playing, it'll be a matter of moments before I'm on FarmVille...

The Imperial Pompadours - Brand New Cadillac
It's brilliant in it's own way, but getting ANYTHING done with this going on is a bit difficult! Save it for post-exam partying (or playing loudly in order to worry the nighbours into going out for the afternoon...)


Hopefully this will be of some use to someone out there! I doubt it will be, but you never know!

No comments:

Post a Comment