Monday 6 September 2010

What to take?

One of the biggest questions I keep running into is "What to take to University?". It's a tricky one. I think a lot of it depends where you plan on staying. I opted for Southwell Hall - it *is* a bit posh! Everything is included (more or less) so even if I totally run out of cash I can eat and use the internet!

There is an "items to bring" list on the Nottingham uni website here. So I had a look:
1. clothes -Obviously!
2. towels - Well, yes...
3. coat hangers - To be honest, I'm glad they pointed this out! Coat hangers never crossed my mind!
4. sticky tack - Of course! Although I heard some places insist you use white tack instead of blue...
5. alarm clock - I use my mobile phone for this...
6. toiletries - Only if you plan on washing, I guess!
7. computer - Oh yes! My laptop will probably be the last thing packed and the first thing unpacked!
8. stationery for course - I'm going to wait until I get there to get this. I get the feeling it'll be cheaper with a student discount!
9. tea, coffee, milk and sugar, chocolate biscuits! - Nope. I don't drink tea or coffee, I don't have any means of keeping milk cold, keeping a bag of sugar around for the sake of it seems strange... I might get some biscuits though.
10. mugs - Again, no. I don't drink hot drinks and the only time I use a mug at the moment is to keep my loose change in. I'll probably bring something to drink out of - just to avoid drinking straight from the tap...
11. passport - I don't have one.
12. driving licence - again...
13. money - I've heard of this stuff...
14. mobile phone - didn't really need to point this out!
15. extension cable - Another thing I wouldn't have thought to have brought - but a good idea!
16. TV licence - No thanks! As far as I know, you don't need one if you just watch iPlayer/4OD on the laptop - which is pretty much what I'm planning to do.
17. portable TV aerial - Nope. See above.
18. extension cable - Another one?!
19. lock if bringing a bike - No bike!
20. bedding – 2 sheets, 2 pillowcases, duvet, duvet cover, pillows - Yep! Bought new bedding some time ago!


TSR has a very useful guide as well. It's split into nice, handy sections so you don't get a whole muddle of stuff that doesn't apply to you...

ACADEMIC:
  • Reading List (I haven't had one yet...)
  • Academic Diary / Wall Planner / Calendar (I've been looking for an Academic Diary and a Wall Planner would be nice!)
  • Relevant Old Text Books and Notes (Nope. I doubt I have anything I can use.)
  • Dictionary (I use google!)
  • Thesaurus (Ditto...)
  • Exam results/certificates (Some Universities use these during your induction.) (I'm not sure I actually have any!)
  • Voice recorder if you have difficulty concentrating in lectures. (No... I don't think I'd get on with using one!)

So far, so good...

BATHROOM:
  • Hand Towels
  • Bath Towels
  • Flannel
  • Wash Bag
  • Toothbrush
  • Toothpaste
  • Mouthwash (all fairly obvious and sensible so far...)
  • Floss
  • Cotton Buds
  • Cotton Pads
  • Make-up Remover
  • Nail Varnish Remover
  • Sanitary Towels/Tampons [For the females among us] - [Or males with nosebleeds] (WHAT? I really hope the gentlemen of TSR know this is a joke... Sometimes I wonder!)
  • Soap
  • Shower Gel
  • Shampoo
  • Conditioner
  • Dry Shampoo. Look for brands such as Batiste, or if you're well off, Lee Stafford. (Why? For a festival, it's great, but if you've got a shower, surely you can just wash your hair?)
  • Hair Gel/Wax (surely if you use this, you'd remember it?)
  • Hairspray
  • Body Lotion
  • Body Scrub
  • Razor/Epilator/Hair-Removing Equipment
  • Shaving Cream
  • Anti-Perspirant/Deodorant
  • Body Spray
  • Toilet Roll
  • Air Freshener
  • Bathroom Scales (I couldn't be bothered bringing scales! Seems like a waste of space!)


Bedding

  • Sheets
  • Duvet/Quilt - Most unis sell these on move-in day, but do check if they are provided, as they sometimes are! (I've checked and they're not - I think I'd still prefer to take my own...)
    • Duvet/Quilt Cover
  • Pillows
    • Pillow Cases
  • Mattress Protector - Not only if you have incontinence issues, but if you have a drunken mishap during the night ;) No drunkenness for me! It's a good idea though - as nice and clean as I'm sure the rooms are, you don't know who's been there before!
  • Blanket / Throw

Decorative Items

  • Posters - Theres usually a stand at your Freshers' Fair (I'd like to pick up some posters... not sure they'd have anything I'd want!)
  • Photos
  • Postcards
  • Rug (Seems a bit heavy/bulky to carry around!)
  • Cushions
  • Beanbag
  • Cuddly Toys (Hehe!)
  • Hot Water Bottle
  • Sleeping Bag (I think they provide a bed....)
  • Inflatable Bed (I'm starting to wonder...)
  • Airbed Pump (Oh dear!)
  • Disco Ball
  • Lava Lamp
  • Plants (What is all this?! Especially the plants... They wouldn't last five minutes!)



I've found a few other lists - I'll post them later! 

No comments:

Post a Comment