One of the biggest questions I keep running into is "What to take to University?". It's a tricky one. I think a lot of it depends where you plan on staying. I opted for Southwell Hall - it *is* a bit posh! Everything is included (more or less) so even if I totally run out of cash I can eat and use the internet!
There is an "items to bring" list on the Nottingham uni website here. So I had a look:
1. clothes -Obviously!
2. towels - Well, yes...
3. coat hangers - To be honest, I'm glad they pointed this out! Coat hangers never crossed my mind!
4. sticky tack - Of course! Although I heard some places insist you use white tack instead of blue...
5. alarm clock - I use my mobile phone for this...
6. toiletries - Only if you plan on washing, I guess!
7. computer - Oh yes! My laptop will probably be the last thing packed and the first thing unpacked!
8. stationery for course - I'm going to wait until I get there to get this. I get the feeling it'll be cheaper with a student discount!
9. tea, coffee, milk and sugar, chocolate biscuits! - Nope. I don't drink tea or coffee, I don't have any means of keeping milk cold, keeping a bag of sugar around for the sake of it seems strange... I might get some biscuits though.
10. mugs - Again, no. I don't drink hot drinks and the only time I use a mug at the moment is to keep my loose change in. I'll probably bring something to drink out of - just to avoid drinking straight from the tap...
11. passport - I don't have one.
12. driving licence - again...
13. money - I've heard of this stuff...
14. mobile phone - didn't really need to point this out!
15. extension cable - Another thing I wouldn't have thought to have brought - but a good idea!
16. TV licence - No thanks! As far as I know, you don't need one if you just watch iPlayer/4OD on the laptop - which is pretty much what I'm planning to do.
17. portable TV aerial - Nope. See above.
18. extension cable - Another one?!
19. lock if bringing a bike - No bike!
20. bedding – 2 sheets, 2 pillowcases, duvet, duvet cover, pillows - Yep! Bought new bedding some time ago!
TSR has a very useful guide as well. It's split into nice, handy sections so you don't get a whole muddle of stuff that doesn't apply to you...